Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Wisdom and Anesthesia

I don't quite know why I am so worried about tomorrow. The funny thing is that it is not the normal stuff that is scaring me. I am getting my wisdom teeth out. Me and dental appointments don't have a great history. I try to be very tough and act like I don't have a problem with it, but I always have something that needs to be fixed. Always. Unfortunately, college and pregnancy have been particularly hard on my chompers and they need LOTS of work - equivalent to plane tickets lots of work (oh, and that is after insurance).

So you would think that I would be afraid of the fact that they are going to have to break two of my teeth in half to get them out. Or the fact that I will probably be in pain (I had a baby remember). I am not even that worried about Oliver because my mom will be taking care of him for me. No, the part that scares me the most is that I will have to be in that awful state of being after waking up from going under anesthesia.

My tough little boy has endured that sensation 3 times already. I am just thankful that he doesn't have to remember those times when he grows. Me, the wimp, have only gone through it once before, but it was one too many times. I remember feeling very thirsty, tired, and cold all at the same time. Each of those emotions alone is enough to make me a terrible person to be around. Combine them all together and you have got a whole lot of unhappy.

I have watched some of those youtube videos that people post after dental visits. I shouldn't have watched them. Even though the film makers are having a grand ol' time, I just know that the poor victim is not at all comfortable. They shouldn't be expected to say anything intelligible; they just got their wisdom teeth out. The clips make my sympathetic heart hurt.

So tomorrow while you are chomping into your meal, think of me, and then thank your lucky stars you are not doing what I am doing at that moment.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck Sandee! I hope everything goes well. We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eat lots of ice cream afterwards!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be thinking of you, Sandee! Hope you have a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes, I'm sorry to hear that. Yes, lots of ice cream. But I remember even ice cream getting old after a while (oh my goodness did I just say that?!)... smoothies? Mmmm

    ReplyDelete